The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has issued guidelines and best practice for American cruise line fleets returning to service this year after closures due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The CDC has recommended the widespread use of UVC germicidal light products fitted in ship’s HVAC systems as they provide an effective and constant level of disinfection, which will help protect passengers and staff and limit transmission of COVID-19 between countries.
What measures has the CDC recommended?
The COVID-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order outlines the various ways businesses can ready their space before employees and passengers return and how they can keep it safe during extended voyages. These measures include:
- Making sure ventilation systems and air filters operate properly for the occupancy level for each space
- Making sure bathroom exhaust fans are functional and operating at full capacity
- Setting aside predetermined isolation and quarantine cabins
- Increasing the introduction of outdoor air and natural ventilation
- Using ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) to help eliminate SARS-CoV-2, especially if options for increasing room ventilation and filtration are limited.
What makes UV light so effective?
After extensive lab studies, we now know that SARS-CoV-2 is primarily spread through the air. This is significant because it means that social distancing and sanitizing surfaces is not enough to prevent transmission and spread from passenger to passenger.
This is why the CDC has recommended using UVC germicidal light products to help limit the spread of COVID-19, as UVC light has been shown to quickly, safely, and effectively eliminate SARS-CoV-2. In fact, BioZone Scientific technology has been independently proven to eliminate over 99% of COVID-19 virus.
Installation of UVC germicidal light technology into air handlers or ventilating ducts help to sanitise the air and surfaces in a space while ensuring staff and customers are not exposed to ultraviolet light. UVC light has the power to shatter the DNA of viruses, bacteria, and mould, thus killing harmful particles from the inside out.
To find out more about how BioZone’s UVC germicidal light products can help keep your customers and staff safe, please get in touch today.